Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Sony Bravia - "Balls" Commercial



This is probably my favorite ad, ever. The slow movement of the balls with José González's "Heartbeats" makes for a supremely calming, happy viewing experience. There's no computer-generated images in this ad; it's all high-speed cameras on literally busloads of bouncy balls on the streets of San Francisco.

This ad introduced me to this song, which has since become one of my absolute favorite songs. It's actually a cover of The Knife's original, which is much different. After listening to the original, which is mostly synthesizer, heavy bass, and skreeching vocals, I felt a new reverence for José's talent, and his ability to completely transform a song to make it his own. There's something about the guitar in his version that pierces straight to the heart. The lyrics take on a new significance with his relaxed but emotion-laden voice, the result of which simultaneously makes me feel like crying and screaming for joy.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The commercial is awesome, and seriously, what an incredible song! What you said about it compared to the original is exactly how I felt about Nada Surf's cover of the Pixies' Where Is My Mind? This one joins the likes of my favorites, too. Thanks for the new posts, Bryon!