Thursday, July 24, 2008

Natalie Walker | Urban Angel

Natalie Walker - Urban Angel
This is definitely one of my favorite albums so far this year. (Sure, it was released almost two years ago, but I just found it on a whim (she's very cute)).

This album is inventive. Unique. Sexy and Elegant. At times haunting. But most of all, beautiful. Her voice is soft and delicate, with a surprising range. My friends who've heard the album agree--the sound of this album is what really lends to its cohesive, perfect feel--these songs fill a lot of space with ease. It's definitely down-tempo, on the chill side; works best at night or at relaxing times.

Most comparable to Kate Havnevik, but slower and deeper. Emotionally Honest. Would probably be classified as electronic, with various samplings used in dense but sweeping orchestrations, while some songs are as simple as her voice and a guitar or a piano. Also provides a pretty good cover of "Colorblind", in a slightly higher octave, and a tiny bit faster; it's interesting to hear a woman's voice if you love the CC version.

If I had to explain why I used the word "perfect" a second ago, I'd have to say it's in Natalie's hooks. In the choruses above all else, she uses her voice to create flowing, gentle phrases that transform these songs into ethereal realms. One listen to "you are my / weak in the knees," the hook in "Rest Easy," and the emotion-laden track-with-a-message (and my personal favorite) "Circles" will make you a believer in this sleeper talent.

Her sophomore album With You is due out August 19th.

No comments: