Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Brett Dennen | Hope for the Hopeless

Brett Dennen - Hope for the Hopeless
I just did a listen-through of this, and I don't think I'll be giving it much more attention. This album is BORING. I'm a big fan of "Ain't No Reason," and a fan of "There is So Much More," and overall, I liked his last album; it was nice to have in the background when I was cleaning the apartment, or putting together an office chair, or chatting with a friend. Dennen's never really made in-your-face, tug-at-the-heartstrings music, so I'm sure no one expects that here. But while his previous efforts exhibited some style (often compared to early John Mayer, although I don't think he's talented enough for that), this album is, ultimately, monotonous drivel. Nothing on this album seems to be of any consequence; there's nothing major happening, just half-hearted musings and reflections on politics and relationships, the usual. It's very baseline, lyrically and musically. The backing music is empty, with only a few instruments providing repetitive lines. Like many of you, I'm sure, I was excited about the album when I heard "Ain't Gonna Lose You" on Grey's Anatomy. Well, while that song-the last on the album-starts strong, and offers the most emotionalism of any track on the disc, Dennen eventually repeats "I ain't gonna lose you" 48 times, and that's the majority of the song, and that's it. Despite this, it's still the best song on the album.

No comments: